Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Autumn of 10k Races

I haven't blogged yet about the Bupa Great North 10k that I ran with my sister last month. While it was a lot of fun to run a race with Little Sis (who did terrific, by the way), my actual race was extremely meh. As with the Great Edinburgh Run, waaay too much walking had me finishing in 1:20. Gah!

I'd like to blame my performance on walking/climbing up Berwick Law two days earlier. About halfway through, my legs just decided they were done, which has never happened to me before. I tried arguing with them, but nope. Done.

So I've decided to make it my mission this fall to improve my 10k time, and in the process to build a really solid running base for a change. My goal: to run a 10k in under 1:15, shooting for a lightning-fast 12 min/mile pace.

Stop laughing, speed is relative.

There are a few 10k races happening within a couple hours away over the next several months. I've already signed up for the Paisley 10k at the end of August. I'm also looking at the Linlithgow 10k and the Jedburgh 10k in September and October.

Oh, and needless to say, I'm giving up on the idea of a half marathon for now. Maybe next year, after I finally have that solid running base.

No comments: